Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Don't Talk to Strangers

Recently, there have been some very serious reports of attempted kidnappings in the Spring Hill area. One of our Workman safety rules is that every afternoon, Safety Kendall calls me to let me know that she is home from school.

When SK called, I did not want to alarm her over the phone so I tried to quickly review safety rules with the understanding that we would have a complete review with SK and Reid once I got home. Apparently my smooth operator skills were lost on my safety girl.

SK: Hey Mom, I'm home!

M: Kendall, just wanted to remind you to stay inside until I get home. We will talk about the reasons later.

SK: Why, mom, are there kidnappers running around the neighborhood or something?

M: Well, now that you mention it, yes, there was an attempted kidnapping yesterday.

SK: (With a little panic in her voice) What…hold up…I was just kidding…I’m getting up to lock the door right now….when are you coming home?...

M: (...Interrupting...) Don’t forget to let Reid in.

SK: I won’t….wait…maybe I will….(snicker, snicker)

So the normal super sweet Safety Kendall has a rotten streak when it comes to her little brother. For a fleeting moment, she was actually going to leave him outside to fend for himself against kidnappers. Thankfully, she was just kidding. She loves her little bro...even if he drives her insane every now and then!!!

So now to review safety rules:

When you were just a young girl and still in school,
How come you never learned the golden rule? (That's funny - I thought the golden rule was to do unto others as you would have them do unto you.)
Don't talk to strange men, don't be a fool,
I'm hearing stories, I don't think that's cool.

Don't talk to strangers
Baby don't you talk
Don't talk to strangers
You know he'll only use you up
Don't talk, don't talk, don't talk
Don't talk, don't talk to him
Nobody, nobody ever told you

And Auntie Jenny this part is all for you:

*Fais l'amour avec moi (*Make love to me)
What's he saying baby?
*Viens dormir, mon amour (*Come to sleep my love)
I asked you not to talk to him
*Je t'aime donne moi ton coeur ce soir (*I like you to give me your heart this night)
I'm begging you

Don't talk to strangers
Baby don't you talk
Don't talk to strangers
You know he'll only use you up
Don't talk, don't talk, don't talk
Don't talk, don't talk to him

Be safe out there everyone!!!!

Melissa

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Reid got the discussion w/Griffin at my dinner table last night. They were instructed to run from any strangers, but if caught, should scream, "This is not my mommy/daddy!" "Why?" Reid and Griffin ask in unison. "Well," I said, "remember last week G when you were pitching a fit across the grocery parking lot? People were looking at us, but they just assumed you were in trouble. If you were screaming 'this is not my mommy' they might have stopped to help you." So, next week when you see me dragging G across the parking lot while he's screaming 'this is not my mommy,' please take a moment to check my i.d. before you let the police haul me to jail!