Thursday, October 21, 2010

Bring Me Some Water - B Side

Literally, the B side!!! I was on the phone when I picked up K from school today. I was talking Bebe so the conversation lasted for the trip home. The rule at the W family home is that if momma or daddy is on the phone, you do not interrupt unless you are bleeding, or something is on fire. We get home, we are unloading the car, and I'm still on the phone. (In my defense, I haven't talked to Bebe this week.) Finally, K couldn't stand it anymore. Grinning from ear to ear, and kind of hopping in place, "Momma, I've got to tell you some amazing news!" I paused my conversation long enough to give her the momma look and she says really, really, really, quickly so that she could get it out before I said I'm on the phone, "You are looking at the CCMS basketball water girl, I'll tell you my story when you are off the phone!" and she skipped down the hallway to her room.

When I got off the phone, I called K into the kitchen and said tell me your story. It went something like this.

M: So you are the new water girl for the boys basketball team?

K: And the girls team.

M: How did this happen?

K: (This story was told in total of 4 seconds.) Well, while I was waiting on you to pick me up and Coach R came by and asked me what I was doing after school now that football season was over. So I told him, I go home, do my homework and then just hang out. So he says, "I hear that Coach M is looking for water girls for the basketball team. Do you want to go talk to him?" Sure. So we walked down to Coach M's room, he asked me if I would be the water girl for b-ball and I said yes. And I'm the first one they asked, but I'm sure there will be others. And guess who's on the boys team? Robert. (Insert hands clasping and laying over her heart, jumping up and down and a big, big cheesy grin on her face here.)

M: That's awesome, sister! So happy for you! (While in my head I'm thinking, aaaawesome, aren't there like a ka-jillion basketball games in a season, I can't eat another concession stand hot dog, how much is gonna cost for us to get in each game.)

I'm not a basketball fan. But I'm sure I will become one!!! Go Cavs!!!

Melissa

No comments: