Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Fast Cars and Freedom

Last weekend was spent enjoying Fast Cars and Freedom. The Fast Cars were the 43 cars and drivers of the Pep Boys 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway and the Freedom was 1) we were free from the kids for a couple days and 2) we stayed "free" by not getting arrested for stalking or harrassment.

We kicked off our weekend of fun Saturday night at Cousin Jeff's in the ATL, the dirty south, HOT-lanta, in the OTP. The city has lots of names and it is one of my favorites!! C. Jeff really wanted to watch the Ole Miss vs. Arkansas game and was able to purchase it through pay-per-view. Sadly, the broadcast was in lo-def television with color commentators, Bert and Ernie and the sound was by the Burger King. The Ole Miss Rebs posted a victory but trust me, it wasn't pretty. Then, off to bed, where I tried to sleep but as they say in the Disney commerical "I'm too excited to sleep!!!"

Sunday. October 26th, is a day I will never forget....it was my first time to visit pit road while at a NASCAR race. I am now officially one degree from Jeff Gordon. I met a guy named Jeff who works for DuPont and does the official pit tours for Jeff Gordon, and he knows Jeff Gordon, so therefore, I am one degree away.



Cousin Jeff asked me to pose with him. I was picking on him on Saturday night because everyone in our family has a picture on the scrolling digital photo frame in his living room except for me. He said "That's because my favorite picture of you is not very flattering." And then he showed me his fav pic and I said "You're right, it is not very flattering, but it is funny and is a great memory." So we took the above pic so that I could make it into the scrolling digital picture frame.


We got to meet a friend of Terri's from high school named Tom. He is the gas can man for the #18 Kyle Busch M&M's car. He was so nice and it was really cool to hear his inside scoop. He even promised us that Kyle is a nice guy.



Then the best thing of all happened. No, Terri and I did not get to meet Jeff Gordon or Kasey Kahne, but we ended up with a sweet spot to watch the cars roll through inspection. We were literally inches away from the cars as they rolled by us. Oh yeah - I am as close to Jeff Gordon's car as it looks in the picture!!! We talked to pit crew guys. We joked with pit crew guys. We even made friends with the security guard. He gave Terri and I a little to much "crowd power" and Terri and I almost ended up in a chick fight. I'm sure that we could have taken the girl. "Do you work here?" she asked with a sneer. "Yes, according to Mr. SEH-KERR-ITY, we do!!!"



There is no way I can tell you how much fun we had this weekend. It was a new experience. There are so many inside jokes that none of you would get. Here are just a few to ponder:

1. The Tony Stewart Lady

2. Nick - Show me your rock star face!

3. Super Sorry about 12th place, Kyle!

4. The explosion of red car window paint onto C. Jeff's garage floor. Great, now we've lost our deposit.

5. We learned a new song "Country Bumpkin" by Cal Smith. If you are ever in the mood for a laugh, look that one up and play it LOUD!!


Be sure to jump over to http://www.fourbetterorworse.blogspot.com/ for Terri's review of the race.

Congratulations to Carl Edwards on the win. I've seen the victory flip live twice now. I'm over it. I'm ready for Jeff Gordon to win!!!!

Melissa

2 comments:

Big Nanny said...

I know you and you've probably had that blog title in your head for a month now, just waiting for this post about the race.

Also, what does your shirt say? I couldn't make it out on Terri's post either.

Anonymous said...

I just sit here and get excited for you because I can see how excited you are/were!!! Yeah!!!

By the way ... I actually know the Country Bumkin song...'I said hello Country Bumpkin...."

Kimberly J