Friday, March 13, 2009

Don't Go Breaking My "Heart" Part II

...Picking up the story at the ER....

We arrive at Williamson Med Center around 11ish on Sunday morning. We only have to wait a few minutes before seeing the triage nurse. The nurse asks us why we are there...well, Kendall has hurt her arm and now is running a fever...do you think they might be related? After a few arm movement tests, taking of temperature and shining of a flashlight down Kendall's throat...the triage nurse says...Yes, her arm is definitely injured but I think the fever is something totally separate, like strep. Oh great! Now we are really feeling like lousy parents. So out to the waiting room we go. Unfortunately, strep and an injured arm won't get you straight back to an ER exam room.

Sidebar - While we were waiting we met a nice mom and little boy. The little boy had fallen "into the boards" while playing hockey and injured his knee. He seemed to be in a lot of pain...I pray that they received good news.

After a little while, we got called back to the ER exam room. The 1st nurse comes in and gets Kendall's symptoms...then the nurse practioner comes in...then the doctor...and yes, we had to explain each time that we were there for both an arm injury and a fever. Finally, an x-ray tech comes to take x-rays of Kendall's arm - He had a really funny entrance while reading Kendall's chart - "10 year old vs. tree...not a good idea". During all of the waiting, Kendall's fever manages to climb to 103ish.

Also, while we are waiting, I finally get to ask Kendall how this arm injury actually happened. And I learned that Ryan did not know the actuall story either. Here is what Kendall says happened to her arm. "Reid and I were playing in Auntie Jenny's neighbors yard. They have a rope swing. I was on the swing and Reid was pushing me. Reid started pushing me way to high and I got all crazy and as I swung back I whacked the tree with this part of my arm (pointing to the forearm) and with this part of my shoulder (revealing a nice scrape and bruise). It hurt so bad and I was crying. Reid tried to apologize to me but I would not have any part of that. He tried to hug me and kiss me and I just wanted to be left alone." But Kendall, it was an accident and he was trying to apologize which is the way we've taught you guys to treat each other. "I know but I just wasn't ready to hear it right then." But have you accepted his apology since then? "Yes." Okay, then we're good? "Yes, we are good but this is the 2nd time that I've had to come to the ER because of Reid, and I am not happy about it." I know, honey, I am so sorry.

**For those of you that don't know, Kendall had to go to the ER last summer because she and Reid were outside playing. She was on an electric scooter, he was playing ball. She was coming down the hill, Reid lost control of the ball, the ball and scooter collided. Kendall went over the handlebars of the scooter, knocked out 3 teeth and had to have stitches in her mouth. I still think she may be harboring a little anger from this incident**

So, the final verdict eventually came down from the ER doctors and nurses...the fever was being caused by an upper respitory infection and the flu...the arm pain was being caused by a severe contusion (possibly a hairline fracture but the swelling and bruising was so severe, the fracture could not be seen on xrays). Give her an antibiotic and an arm brace...tylen*l and m*trin for pain and fever...wait a few days...she will be back on her feet.

This is Kendall on our way home from the ER:



We stopped at Steak N Shake, stop at Bebe's to pick up sister-beater, I mean, to pick up Reid, the pharmacy and then home. She did not eat a single fry. And for those of you who know Kendall, you know that she loves her some Steak N Shake fries and wouldn't miss them for anything but the flu and a sprained arm. Can you say "wiped out"?

Later on Sunday evening in her best Scarlett O'Hara voice, as her temperature has risen to 104.5...(hand and cold washcloth on forehead, stripped down to a tank top and undies) "Mom, I'm so hot, and everything hurts, I just don't think I'm going to make it through the night!" Oh baby, I am so sorry, but you are going to make it, and just in case, I'm going to call Nurse/Auntie Jenny for some "at what point do I get worried about the fever" advise. Okay, mom, but seriously, I am not going to make it. Just rest, baby, just rest. And she did...for the rest of Sunday and most of Monday and Tuesday. With the exception of the "check my temp, I need meds, something to drink or eat" I hardly heard from her.

Well, as you all know, Kendall has made it through the flu, the URI, the sweats, the chills, the throw-up, the antibiotics that made her bounce of the walls, and she is still wearing the arm brace for a few more days to make sure that her arm is completely healed. Thank you for all of your prayers for healing and pain relief! I'm sure without them, she really would not have made it through Sunday night.

Stay tuned for Part III of the "Don't Go Breaking My "Heart/Arm" saga. The sister-beater, I mean Reid, pulls a fast one on Wednesday....

No comments: