Sunday, March 15, 2009

Don't Go Breaking My "Heart" Part III

I am picking up the story on Wednesday morning. Kendall is feeling much, much, much better and has decided that she wants to go to school. Which is a good thing because the Z-pack that she has been taking has started to make her crazy - in a talking non-stop about nothing - kind of way. I wake her up on Wednesday morning, take her temp one more time just to be sure, and she starts getting ready. Oh, the joy of a normal day....

Wait...that beautiful picture of a day when both kids get on the bus and I have 30 minutes of quiet time before going to work...is shattered by these words coming from sister beater, I mean, Reid.

"Mom, I really don't feel good." You don't, what's wrong? "My head, stomach, arms, and legs all hurt, and I feel like I am going to throw up." Oh no, those are all of Kendall's symptoms. Let me check your temp....Hmmm, no fever, but you've got everything else...this must be the beginnings of the flu, these are the signs that I would have seen had I been home when Kendall first got sick with the flu. Well, looks like I will have to call Bebe and see if you can stay on her couch today...it is Wednesday, I have to go to work on Wednesday's.

I load up the Nintend* DS, thermometer, tylen*l, and the sprite and head over to Bebe's. Reid is looking really puny and has really sad eyes...which is usually a good indication of him being sick. Notice I said USUALLY! I drop Reid off, and I head to work. Wednesday's are really busy at TSC and the couple of times that I tried to call Bebe's house to check on Reid, Bebe's phone was off the hook (Thanks, Dane!) and I could not get through.

4:00 rolls around and it is time for me to wrap up my day at work. I head straight for Bebe's so that I can pick up Reid and take him home, feeling sure that he has steadily progressed into the stages of the flu during the day. Oh contraire, mon frere...I get to Bebe's to find Reid playing and acting as normal as possible. Bebe then informs me that around 1pm Reid says the following statement to her - "Bebe, I am feeling much better now, but it is way too late for you to take me to school."

What a scam artist, he faked all of Kendall's flu symptoms, to take "Reid Workman's Day Off"!!! From the clammy hands to the fake cough...he managed all the symptoms. I sure in Reid's mind he heard the words - "Life is short, you gotta stop and take a look around every once in a while." And I am sure that his friends were chanting "Save Reid, Save Reid." I did check the miles on the Ferrari in our garage. He did not drive it to Chicago to have lunch with Abe Froman, Sausage King of Chicago, sing "Twist and Shout" in a parade or take in a Cubs game. He just needed a little me time, because after all, this was his 11th sick day and if he was gonna take it, he needed to make it count!

Boy - I am in trouble!!!

No comments: