Thursday, September 18, 2008

I'm About to Lose Control, and I Think I Like It

I had a parent teacher conference with Mrs. H today - if you recall from Tuesday's post, Reid's teacher Mrs. H, called the house with some disturbing information about our precious boy. Basically, Reid has no self control. The list of things that Reid needs to work on at school include:

1. Needs to demonstrate self control. (Sit down and shut up!, If Mrs. H says stop - stop, immediately - the first time you are asked! Quit wiggling!)
2. Needs to accept constructive guidance. (In other words - don't talk back! and don't blame someone else!)
3. Needs to listen attentively. (See #1)

So here is part of my conversation with Mrs. H:

Mrs. H - Reid is a very smart and capable boy. He just has the sillies and needs to settle down.

Me - I know, I am so sorry.

Mrs. H - Reid had to pull his card again today.

Me - He did?!?! What on earth for?

Mrs. H - He was being disrespectful on the playground.

Me - In what way?

Mrs. H - When I called him down for being way out of control on the playground, and gave him a warning his reply was "Well, that's okay, I'm grounded anyway."

I need to insert here that Mrs. H said it took everything she had not to laugh at this comment.

So, Reid has decided that since he is grounded anyway that he might as well continue to be bad...in his mind..."What could be worse...I'm already grounded this week."

Just wait my little friend...Do you realize that mommies and daddies can add levels of grounding? Reid's current level is grounded from outside, no friends, and no scooter. Do you know that I could throw in - grounded from outside and No TV?, or maybe grounded from outside and No toys in your room this week? or the ultimate throw in - maybe I'll add both No TV and No toys in your room this week to the no outside grounding?

One of Engineer Boy's favorite things to say about Reid is that he needs an audience or an accomplice. What better place to display this than a first grade classroom? He loves to make his friends laugh and he loves to play with reckless abandon. He loves it when he is the center of attention. Reid is testing the boundaries of Mrs. H and of me and EB. Don't all 7 year olds test us? What am I going to do with this boy? One thing I am going to do is to stand firm, follow through and make the boundary walls high. Reid can be stubborn but he has met his match in me! In the words of my little sis, "He is going to make a fine teenager!!!" And in the words of my dad, "I hope you have a kid just like you someday!" Thanks, Pop! You got your wish!!

Melissa

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Mel, I love it! I think it really adds to the whole theme of the blog. Oh, and just so you know, when I was listening to your voicemail, I was actually answering you....out loud. Then I started laughing at myself, b/c I'm such a dork!

Four Better or Worse!?!?! said...

I laughed . . . and laughed . . . and laughed. And Thanked God that Reid and Sophia are not the same age. Those two would definately cause some trouble. See Sophia's reaction to getting in trouble on my post today. They are a trip! We are getting what we earned.

Nicole @ Four Real said...

HI Melissa! This is my first visit to you blog! I didn't know you had one! I love the story. Some day when we are all old and grey, we can laugh at them trying to figure our their kids! :)
See ya,
Nicole