Monday, September 22, 2008

Patience

Apparently, Reid's level of groundedness is not sinking in. This is our conversation as he gets off the bus on Friday afternoon:

Reid: Mom, I tried not to pull my color today but I just did not make it.

Me: What happened, son? (Trying to hug him and acting concerned.)

Reid: Well, I stole someone's snack out of their backpack and Mrs. H caught me but I told her it wasn't me.

Me: YOU DID WHAT???!!!???!!!???? (No longer hugging, I'm trying not to wrap my hands around his neck and start choking.) So if you did not take it - how did it end up in your backpack?

Reid: Well, it was after snack time, and I knew she was not going to eat the snack anyway.

Me: Well, go to your room and I will talk to Daddy about your punishment.

Reid: (With his head bowed low...) Alright, mama. (Mama is his name for me when he knows he is in deep.)

Then I find this note in his backpack:

Mr. & Mrs. Workman -

Reid had to pull his color to yellow. He went into B's backpack and took her snack. Reid gave her snack back but denied that he took it. B cried at lunch. He walked laps and missed his recess. We talked about being honest again. Thanks!

Mrs. H

Okay, it is official. I have reached my parenting limit. He had the snack in his possession but denied that he took it. What? Did it just fall into his backpack? I called EB and we started discussing punishment to add to Reid's grounding. We decided that since he really enjoys going to football games and since we were headed to the IHS vs. FHS game, Reid would not be allowed to go. We thought this punishment would phase him a little, but he had a great time at his Bebe's and told us that he was glad we had dropped him off at her house. AAARRRRGGGHHHH - not the response we were looking for!!!

So, we have started a new strategy.

Reid and EB had a sit down man to man talk last night, for a LONG time. We are lifting the punishments. BUT, if he pulls one color, for any reason, everything in his room (down to the bed and the dresser) will be removed from his room. No toys, no dvd, no train table, no blanket, no dog-dog, nothing!!!

And apparently, this was motivating! I am happy to report, that Reid came home today and his color was still on GREEN!!! YEAH!!! I hope this streak lasts!! Because I really was not looking forward to cleaning out his room. Where would I put everything......

So for now, we are going to continue to be PATIENT with Reid and allow him to earn his right to have privileges.

I would also like to tell you a little bit about Kendall. Kendall is our 10 year old daughter. She is a quiet, people-pleasing, piano-playing, music-loving, travel anywhere, always happy, straight A student. Boy, I hope she stays that way!!!!!!

Melissa

No comments: