Friday, September 26, 2008

It's Not Easy Being Green

I am happy to report that Reid stayed on a "green" card all week this week. I guess the whole "I'm gonna empty your room down to a mattress and a dresser, if you do anything wrong this week" threat/promise worked. Trust me, his change was not parenting skills, it was lots of prayer at the foot of his bed all week long!! He has been such a happy, fun-loving kid this week. He is smiling when he gets off the bus and he is not dragging his feet in the mornings to get on the bus. I simply remind him each morning, "What kind of day are we going to have, Reid?" His response - with a devilish grin - a GREEN day! I have to note that he did move from a green card to a blue card (warning) on Wednesday. This was because C was writing his "S's" wrong and Reid was trying to correct him during quiet time. I can't fault Reid for doing something that I would have done!! :-) I just gently reminded him not to correct his classmates during quiet time. And that he should probably leave all the correcting to Mrs. H!!!

I was able to go to Reid's classroom today and make ice cream. The class is learning about liquids and solids and I thought Mrs. H did a wonderful job with this illustration. You take a sandwich bag and add 1 cup milk, 1 cup sugar, and 4 tsp. vanilla. Seal it up tight. Then you place the little sandwich bag into a gallon size bag and add ice and rock salt. Swish, swish, swish for about 2-3 minutes and ta-da, the liquid milk has turned into solid ice cream. Reid (and the other classmates and me) were all really impressed!! And I have to say - I tasted the ice cream, by no means was it a chocolate bananna milkshake (made with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup - KCJ) from Cold Stone - but it was quite tasty!

Kendall had a great week and a glowing parent/teacher conference. She's an angel, she is a joy to have in class, she scored outstanding in every category on her TCAP's and her IAI (reading) tests. Now, if she could just figure out how to duplicate this report every year from now until graduation.....

Have a great weekend everyone!

Melissa

No comments: